Workplace Safety and Health Committee fosters cooperation and consultation between management and workers in identifying, evaluating, and controlling hazard at workplace. It is also an effective channel of communication to exchange idea to solve problems relating to Occupational Safety and Health (OSH). Feedback from workers will greatly assist employers to promote and provide a safe and healthy work environment. Availability of functional safety and health committee at work is a legal obligation under the OHS Act No. 5 of 2003 (sections 11, 12, 13 and 14).
Malengo ya kozi
The course is focusing on reinforcing the existing or new established SH committee through provision of appropriate training and awareness on OSH matters and related issues.
• Introduction to Occupational health and safety
• OHS legislation
• Appointment of safety and health representatives and their legal responsibilities
• Establishment of an effective OSH Committee at workplace.
• Occupational Safety and Health, prevention and control measures
• Introduction to workplace risk assessment
• Emergency response strategies
• Workplace accident and its preventions
• Occupational Health and Safety Management
• Class work and presentations
Matokeo ya Mafunzo
By the end of this course, a student should:
1. Evaluate workplace to determine the existence of occupational safety and health hazards
2. Select appropriate control methodologies based on the hierarchy of controls
3. To ensure familiarization with all the provisions of the OSH Act.
4. Appointment of safety and health representative and establishment of committees
5. To enable the proper assessment of occupational health and safety condition in the workplaces
6. To enable safety and health committee to establish and implement simple OSH Management Program as intended in the OSH Act.
The course duration is 4 days, including discussions and assignments.
The course fee is TSh 250,000/= per participant which will cover tuition fee, training materials /booklet (English and Swahili), food and refreshment during the course.
An OSHA certificate will be issued for those who will successfully sit and pass the examination at the end of the module.